Crosspulse is a non-profit arts organization dedicated to the creation, performance and recording of rhythm-based, intercultural music and dance. Crosspulse projects often involve Body Music, both traditional and contemporary, as pioneered by founding Executive Artistic Director Keith Terry. Body Music – clapping, slapping, snapping, stepping and vocalizing – is an amalgam of composition and choreography, music you can see, dance you can hear. Likely the first music/dance, the various Body Musics of the world contain kinesthetic ‘libraries’ of memories and cultural heritage, and blur the lines between music and dance.
Crosspulse has earned a unique niche in the vibrant arts community of the San Francisco Bay Area. Since 1980 the organization has sponsored scores of projects, featuring outstanding artists from many cultural traditions. All of the organization’s programs involve the vital role that rhythm plays in performing arts throughout the world, and explore how this commonality of rhythm can connect us in unexpected ways.
Under the Artistic Direction of Keith Terry, Crosspulse has:
- Produced dance and music works ranging in size from solos and duos to ensembles of one hundred performers. In collaboration with a wide variety of artists representing a broad spectrum of styles and forms, the work often involves multi-national, multi-cultural and multi-lingual communication. Collaborations have included individuals and groups such as Gamelan Sekar Jaya, Rhythm In Shoes, Manhattan Tap, San Jose Taiko, I Wayan Dibia, Turtle Island String Quartet, Linda Tillery & the Cultural Heritage Choir, Geoff Hoyle, the Pickle Family Circus, and many more.
- Toured ambitious, logistically complex performances throughout the United States, and in Asia, Central America and Europe.
- Implemented educational and outreach programs for children and adults.
- Produced CD and Video recordings. All projects available on Crosspulse Media.
- Established an annual, internationally-based festival, the International Body Music Festival, the only gathering of its kind.
- International Body Music Festival & MiniFests
- Body Music in Concert
- Crosspulse Percussion Ensemble
- Crosspulse Duo
- Keith Terry Solo
- Free Dive
- Body Tjak
- Slammin All-Body Band
- Professor Terry’s Circus Band Extraordinaire
Friends & Associates:
Barbatuques | Cultural Heritage Choir | Down Home Records | Debbie Berne Design | Destiny Arts Center | Evie Ladin | Gamelan Sekar Jaya | Greg Landau, Music & Video Producer | Jaragua Mutungu, Brazilian Music | John Bergamo, Investment Advisor | Kenny Endo, Taiko Artist | Lellobird Graphic Design | LP Latin Percussion | Mike Melnyk, Photographer | MJ Bogatin, Legal Counsel | Omar Ledezma, Jr. | Paiste Cymbals | Peter Schickele | Pro-Mark Percussion Supplies | San Jose Taiko | STSI National Performing Arts University in Denpasar, Bali